Monday, December 28, 2009

Miracle for Christmas

So on December 22nd I had to take the baby to get his echo. Well of course it started snowing hard 15 minutes before we had to leave. Well, I packed up 4 kids into the avalanche and away we went. I slid off the road getting onto the freeway, but lucky 4 wheel drive got us on to the freeway. I went like 40 MPH because there was about 2 inches on the road at the time. I wound up dropping the kids off late to Susan's and decided to call John to make sure he got to Cedar OK and that he traveled safe down south. Well he answered right away and I heard sloshing in the background. I asked him where he was and he said "you don't want to know." I asked if he slid off the road and he said yes and I told him about me sliding off too. Later on in the conversation he said I needed to come get him from Cedar and I said, "Wow you really got stuck, huh?" He replied "Yeah after the truck flipped 3 times it would do that!" I FREAKED!!! I said "YOU FLIPPED THE TRUCK!!!! ARE YOU OK????!!" He said the cop looked him over and he looked fine, but he had a really bad headache and a big bump on his head. Now mind you I work at the hospital and see all the bad things that happen, plus I have added hormones from having a baby not 1 week prior. So, I freaked out even more. I yelled at him for not taking the ambulance to get looked at and I was going to cancel the appointment for the baby and go get him. He said he was fine and to take the baby in and then he will let me know what I needed to do. So during the already stressful echo of my baby's heart I was thinking about how I could have lost my husband that very morning. so I was crying through the whole procedure. When the appt. was done John called and said that he was in the wrecker coming to ST George. I went and saw his truck and started crying all over again. The front was smushed in and the drivers roof was caved in and the truck was totalled. As soon as I saw John I gave him a hug and he yelped because his neck hurt. I was like OH GOD, He's got a neck injury. We took him to workmed where they said he just had really bad whip lash and to watch for signs of concussion. I was not convinced he was OK, but that's all they would do for us. But he was fine and he is still recovering. You all are probably wondering how he got into the accident. Well, he was driving on the snowy I-15 and an SUV did an illegel U turn right in front of him. He switched lanes and then the Suv cut him off again and swerved into the emergancy lane. So John had to change lanes again and it hydroplaned him into a dirt median, across oncoming traffic, and stopped a foot shy of oncoming traffic. Like the title says it was our miracle for Christmas. I just marval at the fact that he is still here and I am not a widow. Because looking at the truck and hearing about the crash makes me think there was some other force watching over us that day.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Mom told me about it that day, and I had completely forgotten- he looked perfectly fine on Christmas, it really is a miracle! We are all so glad that he is fine.